Former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom has rejected his successor Mohamed Nasheed's apology over the claims that Gayoom had masterminded the "coup" that enforced the regime change on February 7.
In an interview with Haveeru, Gayoom stressed that the statement issued by Nasheed showed that the apology had not been sincere.
“He had said that if I had not played a role in the coup, he apologizes for the claims. In truth he had attempted to prove his false allegations that I in fact was the instigator of the transition in government,” Gayoom detailed. “Hence I do not believe he had actually apologized.”
Gayoom also said that Nasheed had continuously made the allegations on various local and international media outlets.
“So if he truly wants to apologize, he must do so through the same medium,” Gayoom said.
Nasheed in his statement apologizing to Gayoom had detailed that the claims had been made in light of the various pronouncements made by his predecessor, family and close aides.