In a leaked audio clip, Defence Minister Mohamed Nazim is heard saying that no action would be taken against the military following the report of the Commission of National Inquiry (CNI) set up to probe the circumstances surrounding the transfer of power on February 7.
In the audio clip leaked by opposition Raajje TV last night, Nazim says that there is a level of anxiety within the military over the result of the CNI report due on August 30. However, he stressed that the army should not be concerned over the report.
“The most talked about topic at present is the imminent report of the Commission of National Inquiry established by a presidential decree. Sometimes there is a level of anxiety among us. However, I want to take this opportunity to assure all military personnel that there is no cause for concern. The army should not be anxious under any circumstances,” Nazim said.
“I stress that I will not take any action against the army in relation to that report.”
Nazim also added that subsequent to the CNI report into the incidents of February 7, the military would be compelled to take necessary administrative action against those who are highlighted in the report. However, he quickly stressed that the proposed move is not intended as punishment and added that the Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) would provide legal assistance to anyone prosecuted from the army.
The Defence Minister has admitted that the leaked audio clip had been recorded during his meeting and subsequent address to the military last Wednesday. He added that the full recording of his speech would be put up in the MNDF website soon.
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has constantly alleged that Nazim had been one of the chief instigators behind the overthrow of the former President Mohamed Nasheed’s government which they claim was a “coup d etat.”